Tuesday, June 16, 2009

This actually happened today

The first of my 2 Calculus tests took me 2 hours to complete. I have another one in 2 days. Today, when John picked me up, I had 6 minutes to get to work from the opposite side of town, I was super wound up, and the grand total of what I'd consumed so far amounted to a triple shot americano, a cup of drip, and half of a toasted bagel with a small schmear of butta. I was low on blood sugar, stressed out, and angry angry angry.

John was telling me all he got accomplished, and about a Mexican physicist who has actually found a way to make a warp drive work. I asked him to leave me alone. I realized I was snapping, and apologized, and asked him to give me some chill time because I was at that moment pulled so tight that I might snap and be unpleasant, and I didn't want him to bear the brunt of that. So, he remained quiet for most of the drive, until I angrily snarled out the window "How can I be so goddamn smart and so fucking bad at math?"

"Ok, you know what?" He yelled at me, "Knock it off. Now."
"What?"
"I said knock it off. Steph, Calculus is hard for everyone. You're getting a 'B' currently, that's not 'bad'. Also, look at you! You went back to school after 10 years, and kicked its ass! You got into Western for fall quarter, with a 3.8 GPA, as a transfer student. That didn't happen for everyone who applied. Now stop feeling sorry for yourself, because you're too badass for that!"

I honestly didn't really know what to say, so I said nothing except "Okay" and rather sheepishly, at that.

So now, I'm home, and I'm going to do some studying for Anatomy, and then I'm going to do some Calculus, and then I'm going to get up early and do more studying.

Also, as an aside, John is making a character for "Neverwinter Nights II" and the voices are flippin' HILARIOUS! I can't wait until Friday, when we can set up a new LAN party for just he and I, and we can play together like we did with the old D&D Heroes, just after we got married.

This summer is going to be so awesome.

1 comment:

Max said...

Calculus IS hard for everybody. I remember taking AP Calc at SKHS, and managed BARELY passing the class with a bare 70% C-. Which I had brought up from a 60% D- at mid-terms. So give yourself more credit, Steph. Math is crazy difficult for most people - especially high level math like that.

You're kicking ass.